the rights of the injured
for over 30 years

Patients can recover damages from ER errors

On Behalf of | Jul 8, 2024 | Medical Malpractice |

A visit to the emergency room (ER) is often stressful and uncertain. While ER staff strive to deliver the best possible care, errors can occur, and a medical malpractice lawsuit is a possible course of action. If this ever happens to you, you have the right for compensation.

Eight common errors in the emergency room

Georgia ranks fourth among states with lowest medical malpractice cases. Still, it is vital to be aware of potential errors, including:

  1. Misdiagnosis: A misdiagnosis can lead to delayed treatment or unnecessary procedures.
  2. Delayed treatment: Prompt treatment is crucial in emergencies. Delays can worsen a condition.
  3. Medication errors: Giving the wrong medication or dosage can have serious consequences.
  4. Improper discharge: A patient’s condition might worsen at home without proper discharge instructions.
  5. Testing/lab mistakes: Incorrect test results can lead to a wrong diagnosis or treatment plan.
  6. Improper performance of a procedure: Errors during medical procedures can cause additional harm.
  7. Failure to follow up: Follow-up care is essential for monitoring a patient’s progress.
  8. Refusal of treatment: In rare cases, emergency rooms might refuse treatment due to lack of insurance or financial concerns.

Georgia has caps on how much compensation for non-economic damages  you may recover if you suffered an injury due to these errors. For single cases, it can be as much as $350,000 if only one facility is at fault and twice that amount if two or more are involved. For multiple cases against multiple facilities, an overall $1.05 million cap exists.

Legal help is crucial when filing a claim

Medical malpractice lawsuits require proof of the doctor’ or healthcare provider’s deviation from the accepted standard of care and that this caused you harm. The burden of proof lies with you, the patient. If you believe you have a case, it could be time to call an experienced attorney for legal guidance.